About the Program
The program is an outreach initiative that initiates, assists and implements programs beneficial to learners with visual impairments in Namibia.
The idea was born from my involvement as a teacher at the school for Visually Impaired Children, where the majority of learners are reliant on social welfare grants while the children have very little contact with their parents, since most of them hail from very remote areas. In Windhoek they stay in the school hostel and the 118 learners from pre-grade up to grade 10 rely on the assistance of a handful of childcare matrons for all their needs. A third of these learners are total blind, while the others are partially sighted.
Based at Amani Development Centre in the Central area of Namibia 24km from Windhoek, volunteers will enjoy the breathtaking vastness typical to the Namibia rural area in our superb Khomas Hochland Mountain Savanna setting after a day’s involvement at the School for visually impaired learners in the Capital City Windhoek.
We strive to
- Restore the human dignity of visually impaired learners by providing them with coping skills, tools and assistance that will allow them to become self-sufficient, to increase their sense of self-worth and to ultimately become contributors to society. Blind and partially sighted people are currently locked in a vicious cycle of poverty and illiteracy and without assistance they will remain dependent on their families, communities and the state.
- Equip blind and partially sighted learners with the essential skills they need to become more independent and employable once they successfully finish school. These skills are imparted via orientation and mobility training and training in activities of daily living as well as through information about group formation, self-empowerment and advocacy.
- Provide assistance in the challenges which face learners in relation to their ability to meet their special needs from the early stages of development within the duration of their schooling career and in preparation for further education and in the workplace.
- help make our outreach a success
- help local visually-impaired learners to experience from your pool of knowledge and expertise
- Offer your expertise to our organization to supply assistive service to learners with visual impairments
What’s NOT included?
|Weeks||Costs (Prices in USD)|
|4 weeks (min. stay)||$772.00|
|12 weeks (max. stay)||$2,196.00|